Varane - I always need a kick up the backside.... Mourinho did that!

The young French defender spoke of his tendency to relax and how the Portuguese coach knew exactly what to do to get him back in line during their time together at the Bernabeu.

It was the Chelsea coach who gave Varane his big break during his time in charge at the Bernabeu, playing him ahead of Pepe during his final season in charge in 2012-13.

The player revealed the coach who is a huge admirer of the centre-back, always knew exactly how to push his buttons to get the best out of him.

Speaking to Le Journal du Dimanche, he said:

"During my second year at Madrid, Jose Mourinho gave me a kick up the backside. I wasn't doing well, I wasn't managing to do what he wanted me to out on the pitch.

"So he chided me, saying: 'Why don't you run in training?' My first reaction was to mutter, 'Oh come on...' But I knew he was right, I had more to give."

Varane praised Mourinho's man-management skills which ensured he was always under persistent pressure which was something he required to avoid falling into the trap of complacency.

"Mourinho doesn't need to give long speeches," he continued.

"He's direct and to the point. What he said to me was for my own good. Without regular pressure like that, I can tend to rest on my laurels."

Share on Google Plus

About Unknown

Lover of sport. Football enthusiast in general. Fc Barcelona fan and writer.
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Endevour to tell us what you think about what you just read.