STEVEN GERRARD: Speaks about his hate and respect for Man Utd

In Excerpts from his new book serialized by Dailmailuk we bring to you how the Ex Liverpool captain spoke of how the was taught to hate Man Utd and how respected Man Utd's success over the years.

Taught to loathe Manchester United over fight for glory:

"I had been taught to loathe Manchester United. It was drilled into our brains, hardening our hearts and conditioning our souls as Liverpool fans. It was tattooed into the head of every Liverpool fan."

"We had never liked each other, as clubs or cities, but the animosity had become deeper. Liverpool had been dominant for so long; and then, finally, United took over under Sir Alex Ferguson."

"Over the years, especially when I was in the same England team alongside great United players like Paul Scholes, David Beckham, Gary Neville, Rio Ferdinand and Wayne Rooney, my feelings became more layered, but they never disappeared."

His respect for the Man Utd folks:

"I respected Ferguson and Roy Keane and Ryan Giggs; I even respected, grudgingly, what they had achieved as a club. But you never rolled over against United. If they got one over you, you fought back. You went in harder, with just a little more crunch, just to let them know it really was personal."

He saw Man Utd as 'the enemy':

"For more than 26 years, I had always felt compelled to show fire towards them. They were the enemy."

"Their shirt is the only one I won't allow in my house. I have a big collection of shirts I've swapped with other players from different clubs — but not one from United."

Share on Google Plus

About Unknown

Lover of sport. Football enthusiast in general. Fc Barcelona fan and writer.
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Endevour to tell us what you think about what you just read.