Novak Djokovic thrashes Maric Cilic to move into US Open final in New York

Novak Djokovic claimed a most one-sided semi-final grand slam victory against the injured  defending champion Marin Cilic to move into the US Open final.
With Cilic hampered by an injury to his ankle it took Djokovic just 85 minutes to demolish the Croatian 6-0 6-1 6-2 in Arthur Ashe Stadium.
Djokovic will now face Roger Federer in Sunday's final as he bids for his 10th major title.
Speaking about his opponent's injury, he hailed the Croat for playing despite carrying an injury:
'If people didn't already know, Marin was carrying an ankle injury for the last couple of matches and he was courageous to come out and finish the match today so applauds to him.'
'It is not easy knowing your opponent is not 100 per cent but I'm came out with good focus and intensity and executed the game plan.'
Djokovic will now look for his second win in New York. It is also the first time in his career that the Serbian has made all four major finals in a single year.
'It is a great achievement and I'm very proud of it,' Djokovic said.
'I owe great gratitude to my family and my team. These are the tournaments you want to be performing your best.
'I haven't been very successful in the finals of the US Open, I have won one and lost four but have been playing some of my best tennis on these courts.
'I can promise I will give my maximum, I cannot predict the result but I will give it my best.'
Share on Google Plus

About Unknown

Lover of sport. Football enthusiast in general. Fc Barcelona fan and writer.
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Endevour to tell us what you think about what you just read.