Steven Gerrard reveals how Brednan Rodgers fooled him into thinking he would start against Man United

In the serials of his new book which was done by Dailymail the Liverpool legend revealed how his former Liverpool manager misled him into thinking he would start the Premier League game against United at Anfield on March 22.

How a prior discussion with Rodgers lead him to believe he would play the big games:

"I believed I would start in what would be my final match against them.

Earlier in the season, Brendan Rodgers had given me a clear-cut message. 'Even though I'm managing your games it's important for you to understand that I'm trying to help you stay fresh.

I can't be flogging you every game because I won't get the best out of you. Sometimes, I'll give you a break and you'll come back fresh and you'll do well.

The moment the manager told him he would start the important games:

'Brendan then said, just as I was getting up to leave: 'Look, I also want you to know one more thing. If we've got a very important game, a crucial game in the league or a cup final, then it's obvious. You're my No 1 pick. I put you in, and you're my captain. What you've given me since I've walked through this door, made my mind up a long time ago. If we've got a big game, you're in...

How he thought that with Liverpool out of the Champions League and chasing top four he would start, he wrong he was which he found out in another meeting with Rodgers:

'We were out of the Champions League and the title was long gone. But we were closing in on fourth place, and Manchester United at home felt like the biggest game of the season. So I felt confident I would be selected.

I trained really well on the Wednesday and felt sharper and hungrier than anyone in the squad."

How Rodgers set him up for disappointment:

"That night I received a text from the manager: 'You've trained so well the last couple of days, can we have a chat? Can you come to my office in the morning before training?

Rodgers got him super excited:

'I was already in bed but I replied instantly: 'Yeah no problem, thanks.'I might have sounded casual in my text but I was much more excited in my bed. I read Brendan's text again.'I'm going to be back in the team here,' I thought. 'He's thinking Man United, at home, massive game. He needs me for this one.

He couldn't sleep:

'I lay in the dark for the next hour, thinking about everything. Brendan was in his office when I arrived at training. He started smiling as soon as I walked in and I stretched out my hand to say good morning.

Then he made him feel comfortable before dropping the before dropping the bomb:

'Brendan was still smiling as he leant back in his chair and said, 'How are you feeling?

''Yeah, I'm fine, good,' I said. 'No problems.'
There was a little pause, then Brendan said: 'Look, I'm desperate to get you back into the XI. But the team has done so well I'm going to go with the same lads that started the other night."

Gbam!!! He almost had a go at his manager:

'A sudden lump formed in my throat. I looked at Brendan and, in that mad moment, I had a split- second decision to make. Do I have a go at him?I went the other way.

He acted professionally

'I went the right way. I decided to stay professional. 'No problem, fine,' I said.'OK?' Brendan said.'OK,' I nodded. 'I respect your decision.'We left it at that. I walked out and got ready for training. My mind was swimming. I couldn't believe it. It felt to me, then, like a classic case of muscle-flexing.

He now tried to figure out his reason for benching him:

"My relationship with Brendan was too good for him to need to make a point to me. He was someone I respected and liked: his training sessions were among the best I had ever experienced while his man-management was excellent, generous and imaginative."

"But I wondered if this was his way of showing the press that he was strong enough to make a difficult decision. This seemed a chance for Brendan to show his authority and send out a clear message that this was his team."

He respects the decision now but doesn't agree it was the right one:

"I can respect Brendan's decision now, even if I obviously still believe it was the wrong one, because he wanted to show loyalty to everyone who had done well for him."

How it hurt to be benched after he made him feel like he would start the match:

"But it hurt me, especially because of our previous conversations and the fact that his Wednesday night text, which had been full of praise, had misled me. I'm sure he didn't mean to give me the wrong impression but his text confirmed in my mind that I would be selected.

Interesting read...

Share on Google Plus

About Unknown

Lover of sport. Football enthusiast in general. Fc Barcelona fan and writer.
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Endevour to tell us what you think about what you just read.