Sterling and De Bruyne must always be on their toes - Mangala

The defender, who joined City from Porto in 2014, has advised that the club's new high profile signings Raheem Sterling and Kevin De Bruyne not to allow their performances to drop or they might loose their starting roles.

The Frenchman who has the experience of being a big money signing himself after his move from Porto made him the most expensive defender ever advised his new teammates.

Mangala has made an impressive start to the season and with the arrival of former Porto teammate Nicolas Otamendi he knows nobody is guaranteed a starting berth due to the club's strength in depth

He however insisted that he is not the only player who faces stiff competition at City. He told UEFA's website:

"Otamendi makes the team stronger and I know Nico really well, because I played with him at Porto. I know his skills and his level. If you are not giving your best, he is there [to take your place]."

"It is the same with every player. We bought Kevin De Bruyne, we bought Raheem Sterling, so it is the same for the forwards.

"They know they must perform because if they do not they will be replaced."

Mangala also spoke about his difficult first season at City and stated that things have gotten better for him at the Etihad Stadium now:

"My first season was a transitional year. It was very similar to the first season I spent at Porto. The only difference was the importance it assumed because I'd become a higher-profile player because of my transfer fee and the club I had joined. I'd reached another dimension," the centre-back said.

"But having that experience at Porto helped me put all the media, press and TV attention aside, and I could say to myself:'No worries, take your time, no problem, you have a long-term contract, you will learn, you will get to know the league.'

"At the end of the season, I played in the last six games and I felt very confident and comfortable. Now I feel very comfortable and I know exactly what the Premier League is about."

Share on Google Plus

About Unknown

Lover of sport. Football enthusiast in general. Fc Barcelona fan and writer.
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Endevour to tell us what you think about what you just read.