STEVEN GERRARD: Fergie Tried to sign me, I would have done 'pretty well' for Utd

More excerpts from his new book serialized by dailymailuk. He talks about Man United trying to sign him and how he was hurt when Fergie said he wasn't a top top top player.

Man United rivalry:

"I remember in 2000 after a Danny Murphy goal had seen Liverpool beat them 1-0, United fans hammered on our bus outside Old Trafford. They chanted: 'F*** off, scum, we'll f****** kill you in your Liverpool slum."

His agent told him Man Utd almost signed him:

'My agent, Struan Marshall, told me that, under Fergie, United had a decent pop at trying to sign me. Gary Neville would knock at my door during England camps. He'd come in for a chat and let me know how much United would love me to play for them. Gary told me Fergie had sent him.

Fergie called him 'the most influential player in England, bar none' in 2004

"In 2004, Ferguson had called me 'the most influential player in England, bar none' and suggested that 'anyone would love to have Gerrard in their team'."

How it hurt when Fergie said in his book that he wasn't 'a top, top player'

"So I was a little hurt and surprised when 13 years later, Ferguson used his autobiography to insist he was one of the few who never thought I was 'a top, top player'. I wouldn't lose any sleep but I was slightly taken aback after all his praise."

Respect for Fergie and his toughts on if Scholes and Keane would have been successful with Liverpool

"The only point that mattered was that I have real respect for Ferguson, but I wondered how many league titles he thought Scholes or Keane might have won if they had played for Liverpool."

He fancies he would have done pretty well with Man utd:

"I would have done OK in a United team playing alongside Keane in midfield with David Beckham on the right, Ryan Giggs on the left and Ruud van Nistelrooy up front. I would have managed pretty well in that side."

Share on Google Plus

About Unknown

Lover of sport. Football enthusiast in general. Fc Barcelona fan and writer.
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Endevour to tell us what you think about what you just read.